Low carb & gluten free Spinach Patties, delicious as appetizer or as a side dish!
This was on my to-do list for quite a while. I wanted to create a spinach patty that’s low carb. But it got so low on my list of things I want to try/doctor up, that I completely forgot about it. Until I saw a picture of spinach balls a couple of days ago. Usually, these patties/balls/tots are made with flour and/or bread crumbs. And I figured that I could easily swap these for another low carb option.
I remembered I still had a bag of fresh spinach in the fridge. Well, emphasis on ‘had’. As in ‘wasn’t so fresh anymore’. Had to throw it out. I was almost in tears. I absolutely hate to throw away food. Which meant I had to buy a new bag of spinach. Now that these patties had moved up on my list, I needed to make them. Like now.
I guess you could also use frozen chopped spinach, but it will have to be thawed and well drained. Haven’t tried that, so I can’t vouch for results.
First, preheat oven to 200ºC/400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Then finely chop 200 g (7 oz) fresh spinach leaves, discarding any hard stalks.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, 4 large eggs, 100 g (3.5 oz) grated cheese (I used Gouda, but you can use any preferred cheese), 80 g almond meal, 3 tbsp fine coconut flour, 1/2 – 1 tsp salt (how much depends on the cheese you use) and 1/4 tsp pepper. Let the ‘batter’ rest for a couple of minutes.
Then roll the batter into balls. The batter is quite moist and rather difficult to handle. Put the balls on prepared baking sheet and slightly flatten each ball into a patty.
Bake in the middle of the oven for ca. 20 minutes, turning the patties halfway through the baking process.
Kids totally loved these! We ate them for dinner and I served them with spicy dipping sauce and chorizo sausages. Absolutely delicious!
Spinach Patties - Low Carb & Gluten Free
* I used aged Gouda, but you can use any cheese you like
** Depends on the strength of the cheese used
- 200 g (7 oz) fresh spinach leaves
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g (3.5 oz) grated cheese*
- 80 g almond meal
- 3 tbsp fine coconut flour
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt**
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Finely chop the spinach leaves, discard any hard stalks.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Roll batter into balls. The batter is quite moist and rather difficult to handle. Put the balls on prepared baking sheet and slightly flatten each ball into a patty.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for ca. 20 minutes, turning the patties halfway through the baking process.
The nutritional value is based on 1 serving of 5 patties (we ate these for dinner).
<div style=”display: none;”></div>
DanielleJanuary 3, 2022
I just want to say, I absolutely LOVE this spinach patty recipe. It is now my go to recipe for spinach patty’s. I did add some minced garlic and diced onions to it gave it extra yummy flavor.
NicoleJanuary 3, 2022
So glad you like them, Danielle! And great idea to add garlic and onions!